- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Protea Hotel Mossel Bay
At a Glance
- location very central for museums, restaurants, and the beach
- stylish and modern rooms
- swimming pool is small and overlooked by the terrace
- street-facing rooms can be noisy
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Protea Hotel Mossel Bay Review
Just yards away from the museum complex, this stylish hotel, which was refurbished at the beginning of 2009, is close to most of what's happening in Mossel Bay. You can take in the great view of the harbor, beach, and sea while relaxing at the Blue Oyster Pool Lounge. Strange nooks and crannies and yard-thick stone walls testify to the building's status as the third oldest in Mossel Bay (built in the mid-19th century), but rooms are bright and spacious, with exposed-brick walls and decor in tasteful shades of creams and greens. Standard rooms have showers only. Self-catering apartments are as gorgeous as the hotel rooms with two balconies that overlook the water.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
I have been attempting to book a trip to Africa for a year now, not sure I am any closer to an itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
A New York City judge has ruled against the use of apartments for "transient tenants," which includes... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more