- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The spectacularly scenic cliff-top Cape St. Blaize Trail affords memorable views of the crashing waves below. The trail starts at the Cape St. Blaize Lighthouse, at the Point, and then meanders through fynbos and past an interesting cave once inhabited by the San. These caves are considered to be one of the most important archaeological discoveries made in the past 100 years, but you can access them only with a guide as part of the Oystercatcher Trail.
The guided, catered Oystercatcher Trail offers the best of both worlds, providing a multiday hiking experience along the beach and over rocky shorelines while you carry only a day pack. The trail starts in Mossel Bay, with the first day spent on the lovely cliff-top Cape St. Blaize Trail, and continues to the mouth of the Gouritz River. At midday you'll be provided with a delicious picnic lunch. Nights are spent in a guesthouse or a thatched cottage, where delicious traditional food is prepared for you on open fires. Knowledgeable guides point out birds and plants and discuss local history and customs. Walking on the beach can be hard if the tide is in, but most people of average fitness should manage. A typical trip is four days and five nights and starts at R35,450 per person (for 6 to 12 people), but shorter hikes of one or two days can be arranged. 044/699-1204. www.oystercatchertrail.co.za.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- Cape Town & Namibia — $3,939 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore