- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The only true airport serving the Garden Route and the Little Karoo is George Airport, 10 km (6 mi) southwest of town. Most people who arrive by plane rent a car to continue their journey on the Garden Route. Kulula, 1time, and South African Airways all fly to George from most major destinations in the country.
It takes about half an hour to get to Mossel Bay and Oudtshoorn from George, and the roads are good.
Greyhound and Intercape buses stop at George Train Station, and the Baz Bus stops at the McDonald's on Courtenay Street (at Symons Lane).
The area between George and Wilderness is notorious for speed traps, especially in the Kaaimans River Pass, just west of Wilderness.
Avis, Budget, Europcar, and Hertz all have car-rental offices at George Airport. Europcar rentals include a cell phone.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's