At a Glance
- within walking distance of restaurants and bars in less touristy area than the beachfront
- tables in the garden make dining (either brought in or cooked in the communal kitchen) a pleasure
- you will need to take a taxi to the beachfront
- Internet access is not free
Jikeleza Lodge Review
In a quiet part of the Central neighborhood, this hostel tends to attract mature backpackers who are more interested in culture and adventure activities than partying. Rooms are clean, comfortable, and basic, the communal kitchen is well-appointed, and the managers are friendly and helpful. There's a lovely garden looking over the valley, which has visiting dassies (a guinea pig-like animal unique to South Africa).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Port Elizabeth Fr $119+/Nt Save with Expedia, $39/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more