At a Glance
- in easy walking distance of the bus station, or the Baz Bus will drop you off here
- prices are very reasonable
- no on-site restaurant
- camping spaces are limited
Sugarshack Backpackers Review
The numerous wet suits and surfboards lying around make it clear that this fun, casual hostel is the place to go if you're after some waves. It's right on Eastern Beach in Quigney, a suburb of East London; the big open-air deck, which leads off the communal kitchen-lounge, is a great place to sit and watch the waves. Double rooms, which share bathrooms with dorm residents and campers, are in cute but tiny wooden cabins with their own sea-view verandas. There are loads of restaurants and pubs within walking distance. Like most hostels, this place can get quite lively; drumming evenings are a regular occurrence. All kinds of adventure tours (such as paddling and sand-boarding) are on offer, along with surfing lessons. Reasonably priced beauty treatments can also be arranged off-site. It's next door to the Buccaneers Pub and Grill, and you get free beer if you're staying at Sugarshack.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Port Elizabeth Fr $118+/Nt Save with Expedia, $39/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more