Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
At a Glance
- in easy walking distance of the bus station, or the Baz Bus will drop you off here
- prices are very reasonable
- no on-site restaurant
- camping spaces are limited
Check Rates from our Partners
Sugarshack Backpackers Review
The numerous wet suits and surfboards lying around make it clear that this fun, casual hostel is the place to go if you're after some waves. It's right on Eastern Beach in Quigney, a suburb of East London; the big open-air deck, which leads off the communal kitchen-lounge, is a great place to sit and watch the waves. Double rooms, which share bathrooms with dorm residents and campers, are in cute but tiny wooden cabins with their own sea-view verandas. There are loads of restaurants and pubs within walking distance. Like most hostels, this place can get quite lively; drumming evenings are a regular occurrence. All kinds of adventure tours (such as paddling and sand-boarding) are on offer, along with surfing lessons. Reasonably priced beauty treatments can also be arranged off-site. It's next door to the Buccaneers Pub and Grill, and you get free beer if you're staying at Sugarshack.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more