Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Buccaneers Lodge and Backpackers
At a Glance
- has an airport shuttle
- sociable environment
- restaurant can cater for dietary restrictions
- most activities are not run from the lodge itself
- accommodations can be very basic
Check Rates from our Partners
Buccaneers Lodge and Backpackers Review
Half hostel, half B&B, this very casual establishment is a shirts-and-shoes-optional sort of place, and it does get quite lively. The dorms are what you'd find at any hostel, but there are also pretty chalets scattered across a wooded slope leading to the beach. They all have cooking facilities, and most have fantastic views over the lagoon and ocean. The platformed safari tents are small and basic, containing not much more than a bed and without private baths, but the privacy and views make them a good budget option. There's something happening at 4 o'clock every afternoon—a volleyball game, free sundowner cruise, or some other spur-of-the-moment activity, with free wine included. It's a great base from which to undertake a whole range of reasonably priced cultural tours and excursions, which can be booked from here. Breakfast is about R15–R45, lunch (usually served at the pool bar in summer) costs about R15–R50, and a hearty supper will set you back R45–R75. Children are permitted, and the self-catering cottages are family-friendly. But be warned: this is a PG-13 option, as backpackers can be very casual, and the language might not be what you'd hear in church.
- Address: From the N2 toward Durban take the Cintsa West turnoff and follow signs for the lodge on the left, Cintsa
- Phone: 043/734–3012
- Website: www.cintsa.com
- Location: Cintsa
- 5 chalets, 5 safari tents without bath, 4 dormitories, 20 camping sites.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
Family of 5 heading out to Johannesburg arriving 26.7.14 want to hire a 4x4 and self drive from SA into Botswana, then into Zimbabwe, then back to Johannesburg to depart 25.8.14 (31 days). All attempts Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more