Buccaneers Lodge and Backpackers
At a Glance
- has an airport shuttle
- sociable environment
- restaurant can cater for dietary restrictions
- most activities are not run from the lodge itself
- accommodations can be very basic
Buccaneers Lodge and Backpackers Review
Half hostel, half B&B, this very casual establishment is a shirts-and-shoes-optional sort of place, and it does get quite lively. The dorms are what you'd find at any hostel, but there are also pretty chalets scattered across a wooded slope leading to the beach. They all have cooking facilities, and most have fantastic views over the lagoon and ocean. The platformed safari tents are small and basic, containing not much more than a bed and without private baths, but the privacy and views make them a good budget option. There's something happening at 4 o'clock every afternoon—a volleyball game, free sundowner cruise, or some other spur-of-the-moment activity, with free wine included. It's a great base from which to undertake a whole range of reasonably priced cultural tours and excursions, which can be booked from here. Breakfast is about R15-R45, lunch (usually served at the pool bar in summer) costs about R15-R50, and a hearty supper will set you back R45-R75. Children are permitted, and the self-catering cottages are family-friendly. But be warned: this is a PG-13 option, as backpackers can be very casual, and the language might not be what you'd hear in church.
- Address: From the N2 toward Durban take the Cintsa West turnoff and follow signs for the lodge on the left, Cintsa
- Phone: 043/734-3012
- Website: www.cintsa.com
- Location: Cintsa
- 5 chalets, 5 safari tents without bath, 4 dormitories, 20 camping sites.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: African Pride Hacklewood Hill Country House Fr $118+/Nt Save with Expedia, $39/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more