- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
What makes Coffee Bay stand out from all the other lovely destinations, though, is its proximity—only 9 km (5½ mi)—to the spectacular Hole-in-the-Wall, a natural sea arch through a solid rock island. You can go here on a rather adventurous road from Coffee Bay, and it's included on almost any tour of the Wild Coast. The Xhosa name, Esikaleni, means "place of the water people," and it is believed to be a gateway to the world of our ancestors. If you try swimming through it in rough seas, it certainly will be, but some intrepid souls have made it on calm (very calm) days.
- Location: Coffee Bay
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town & Namibia IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa Experience — $4,149 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
To my utter delight, I will be returning to South AFrica in early OCtober for a trip that will begin with a week in CapeTown. Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side,... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more