This is Port Elizabeth's fine-dining option, and a welcome addition to the beachfront dining scene. It's located in the Beach Hotel opposite the pier. Glass doors open onto a terrace, with sea views, or you can sit inside at tables placed around the bar, which is located in the center of the restaurant. Cuisine is contemporary with local flavors; highlights include ostrich fillet with a tangy ginger-and-beer sauce and whole grilled crayfish with béarnaise sauce and buttered herb rice. There's also a large selection of steaks and game meats. For dessert try a Spice Route ice-cream plate, with four different flavors of ice cream: ginger, cinnamon, fennel, and honey. Or, order the crêpe suzette, which is served from a flambé trolley that is brought to your table. The wine list is excellent, and there's a small but good selection of wines available by the glass. Prices are reasonable, especially considering the size of the portions. A lighter lunch menu features warm salads, sandwiches, burgers, and pastas, as well as some seafood and steak dishes.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town & Namibia IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa Experience — $4,149 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
The Grace Hotel in Rosebank, which has been one of the best places to stay in Johannesburg for many years, will close this month. Read more
· News & Features
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Apparently 2013 is the year of major airline uniform upgrades.... Read more