Consistently listed as one of the country's top 10 courses, the challenging championship Humewood Golf Course is set in undulating dunes on the edge of Algoa Bay, making it one of South Africa's few natural links courses. The late South African golfer Bobby Locke considered it the finest course in the country and compared it favorably to the best of British links courses. At 7,030 yards and exposed to stiff sea breezes, it's not for the fainthearted. Greens fees are R515, cart fees R200, caddies R100–120, and club rental R245. Marine Dr., Summerstrand, 6013. 041/583–2137. www.humewoodgolf.co.za.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe