Mthatha is poor and run-down. Most people don't stay here beyond making a travel connection elsewhere. However, if you're traveling on your own and have some free time, be sure to make a detour to see the Nelson Mandela Museum, which is 19 km (12 mi) outside of town. The museum can arrange a tour for you, which is advised.
Elsewhere in The Eastern Cape
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's