The Eastern Cape Feature
Hanging Ten at Jeffreys Bay
When a right-hand break in St. Francis Bay was immortalized in the '60s cult surf classic Endless Summer, surfers from around the world made the pilgrimage to check it out for themselves. They soon discovered that the wave was not so perfect after all and began scouring the area only to stumble upon the right-hand break in Jeffreys Bay, which is now considered to be one of the top three surf spots in the world. At that point, Jeffreys Bay consisted of little more than some sand dunes and farms, but today it has become overdeveloped and rather tacky, and it gets extremely busy over the summer holidays.
Where to Stay
If you're after a more tranquil, upmarket feel, St. Francis Bay is a better place to stay, although both towns have lovely beaches.
When to Go
Winter is the best season for surfing. The Billabong Pro, an annual competition, takes place every July.
If you're a novice, it's pretty easy to rent a wet suit and find someone to give you some lessons.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe