Getting Here and Around
Coffee Bay is about 1½ hours from Mthatha. Greyhound buses and the Baz Bus stop at the Shell Ultra City just outside the town. The Coffee Shack will pick guests up from Mthatha airport or the Shell Ultra City (R60 each way). Local minibus taxis also run from Mthatha to Coffee Bay for about R40 one way. They leave from the taxi stand in the center of town and change at Mqanduli, a small town on the way. They are a cheap and convenient way of getting around but are not always the safest option.
If you are driving take the N2 to Viedgesville (about 20 km [12 mi] south of Mthatha) and then follow signs for Coffee Bay road. The coastal road is paved, but there are lots of potholes and you're advised to travel only during daylight. The drive takes about 3½ hours from East London.
Coffee Bay itself is small, so you can walk to most places or take local minibus taxis to get around.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's