A tiny settlement west of Grahamstown, Alicedale was once an important railway town. The demise of the steam train, however, sent Alicedale into decline, turning it into a virtual ghost town populated by a depressed band of unemployed wraiths subsisting on meager railway pensions and funds sent home from family members working elsewhere. The development of a major golf course, hotel, and game reserve, however, has brought life back to Alicedale: property prices have risen, unemployment is down, and a sense of relative prosperity is slowly settling on the town.
Alicedale at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Eastern Cape
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's