Getting Here and Around
The closest airport to Shamwari Game Reserve is Port Elizabeth (PLZ) airport, about 72 mi (45 km) away. Small and easy to navigate, the airport is served daily by South African Airways, SA Airlink, Kulula, and 1time. Flights arrive from Cape Town (1 hour) and Johannesburg (1½ hours). From here it's best to rent your own car, as there isn't any reliable public transport. If you are flying into Port Elizabeth and only visiting Shamwari, it may be easier to arrange an airport transfer with the reserve. As with all of the luxury game reserves, it's advised that you arrive by midday so you can check in and have lunch before the afternoon game drive.
1Time. 0861/345-345. www.1time.aero.
Kulula. 0861/585-852. www.kulula-air.com.
South African Airways/SA Airlink. 011/978-1111. www.flysaa.com.
Port Elizabeth Airport. 041/507-7319. www.acsa.co.za.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's