Getting Here and Around
There are daily flights from Johannesburg, Durban, and Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. Air charters from Port Elizabeth to Samara (gravel airstrip) can be arranged on request; it's a 45-minute drive from the airstrip to the reserve. Transfers to and from the airport or airstrip can be arranged through the reserve.
The drive from Port Elizabeth should take about three hours. Take the R75 toward Graaff-Reinet for 258 km (160 mi). Turn right onto the R63 toward Pearston/Somerset East for 7 km (4 mi). Turn left onto the Petersburg gravel road and drive 23 km (14 mi) to reach Karoo Lodge.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe