Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Amazulu Private Game Reserve and AmaKhosi Lodge
Amazulu Private Game Reserve and AmaKhosi Lodge Review
Forty kilometers (21 mi) south of Phongola lies AmaKhosi Lodge, in the Amazulu Private Game Reserve, which covers some 25,000 acres of pristine wilderness on the perennial Mkhuze River. Different habitats range from rocky hillsides to thick bushveld, tamboti forests to broad wetlands. AmaKhosi has all of the Big Five, in addition to wildebeests, zebras, giraffes, and a variety of antelopes, including the shy nyala. Most animals have been reintroduced, with the exception of leopards, which remain secretive and very difficult to spot. In addition, a wide variety of bird species will delight birders.
- Location: KwaZulu-Natal Parks
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
Thinking of going to South Africa in September.. Would appreciate your comments on this itinerary. It's through Citiescapes but the agent in SA is IKapa tours.
DAY 1 :
Fly from Dublin to Johannesburg Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more