Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
At a Glance
- plumb in the middle of best game areas in the park
- easily accessible
- beautifully located right on river
- good museum
- you don't want to be here when the seemingly never-ending tour and school buses arrive, making it horribly crowded and noisy
Check Rates from our Partners
It's worth popping in to have a look at this huge camp. More like a small town than a rest camp, it has a gas station, police station, airport, post office, car-rental agency, grocery store, and library. It's nearly always crowded, not only with regular visitors but with busloads of noisy day-trippers, and consequently has lost any bush feel at all. Still, Skukuza is popular for good reason. It's easily accessible by both air and road, and it lies in a region of thorn thicket teeming with game, including lions, cheetahs, and hyenas. The camp itself sits on a bank of the crocodile-infested Sabie River, with good views of thick reeds, dozing hippos, elephants and grazing waterbuck. Visit the worthwhile museum and education center to learn something about the history and ecology of the park. However, if you're allergic to noise and crowds, limit yourself to a stroll along the banks of the Sabie River before heading for one of the smaller camps.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more