At a Glance
- unique beauty
- great for families
- lack of accessibility
Check Rates from our Partners
Karoo Lodge Review
From the moment you reach this lovingly restored, 19th-century, green-roofed farmhouse set among purple mountains, 800-year-old trees, and rolling plains where cheetahs, rhinos, and giraffes roam, you'll forget another more stressful world even existed. The understated yet elegant colonial farmhouse and three lovely cottages await you after a day of game-watching, hiking, or picnicking in the desert. Super-attentive but unobtrusive staff and imaginative five-star cuisine add to the elegance of this exclusive resort. There's a history room with fossils and information about the area if your interest is piqued and a curio shop if you want to bring a little something home.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Livingstone's Southern Africa with River Cruise IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) IExplore
- Zambia & Botswana Flying Safari — $8,795 IExplore
- Livingstone's Southern Africa with River Cruise — $7,395 IExplore
- Cape Town & Namibia — $3,939 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
To my utter delight, I will be returning to South AFrica in early OCtober for a trip that will begin with a week in CapeTown. Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side,... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more