Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Phinda Walking Safari
At a Glance
- sleeping out in one of the world's rare sand forests is a privilege
- walking every day really brings you in very close with the wilderness
- food is fairly basic
- stay away if you're not a natural survivor and you need strong walls and hate bugs
Check Rates from our Partners
Phinda Walking Safari Review
This unusual experience is a delightful way to get close to the bush. Your home for three nights is a spacious safari tent (with bathroom) in the middle of a rare sand forest. Here crowned eagles may survey you as you take a postprandial nap in a hammock under giant fig trees, or a fishing owl may call as you swap safari stories under the stars. Each morning (depending on the consensus of the group) you amble through the forest or over the plains for four or five hours; then it's back to camp for a rest, then a presunset walk and night game drive. An armed security guard ranger makes sure you get home safely, and the camp chef keeps the calories coming. The walking safari is not offered in summer because of the heat.
- Location: KwaZulu-Natal Parks
- 4 luxury tents.
- Closed Dec.–Feb.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more