Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
At a Glance
- this is the mother lodge of all the Singita properties, and it shows: maturity, warmth, hospitality, and furniture and fittings antique dealers would kill for
- check out the cozy library with its amazing old books and magazines
- the beds are very high off the ground—if you've short legs or creak a bit, ask for a stool
Check Rates from our Partners
Ebony Lodge Review
If Ernest Hemingway had built his ideal home in the African bush, this would be it. From the moment you walk into the main lounge with its genuine antique furniture, leather chairs gleaming with the polish of years of use, old photographs and paintings, mounted game trophies, and hand-carved doors and windows, you'll be transported to a past where trendy urban designers had never heard of the bush, brimming glasses toasted the day's game activities, and deep laughter punctuated the fireside tales. This is really Old Africa at its best. Yellow, red, and orange fabrics bring flashes of bright color to the old club atmosphere and are carried through to the viewing decks over the river below and into the comfortable dining room. Your room gives exactly the same feel—beautiful antiques, a claw-foot bathtub, photographs of royalty and original bush camps, lovely lamps and carvings, splashes of vivid color, a dressing room big enough to swing a leopard by the tail, and a carved four-poster bed that looks out over the bush below. Catch the sun or catch up on your journal at the antique desk or on the big inviting deck with pool and stunning views.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more