At a Glance
- this is the mother lodge of all the Singita properties, and it shows: maturity, warmth, hospitality, and furniture and fittings antique dealers would kill for
- check out the cozy library with its amazing old books and magazines
- the beds are very high off the ground—if you've short legs or creak a bit, ask for a stool
Ebony Lodge Review
If Ernest Hemingway had built his ideal home in the African bush, this would be it. From the moment you walk into the main lounge with its genuine antique furniture, leather chairs gleaming with the polish of years of use, old photographs and paintings, mounted game trophies, and hand-carved doors and windows, you'll be transported to a past where trendy urban designers had never heard of the bush, brimming glasses toasted the day's game activities, and deep laughter punctuated the fireside tales. This is really Old Africa at its best. Yellow, red, and orange fabrics bring flashes of bright color to the old club atmosphere and are carried through to the viewing decks over the river below and into the comfortable dining room. Your room gives exactly the same feel—beautiful antiques, a claw-foot bathtub, photographs of royalty and original bush camps, lovely lamps and carvings, splashes of vivid color, a dressing room big enough to swing a leopard by the tail, and a carved four-poster bed that looks out over the bush below. Catch the sun or catch up on your journal at the antique desk or on the big inviting deck with pool and stunning views.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- Cape Town & Namibia — $3,939 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more