Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
At a Glance
- lovely old camp full of trees, flowers, and birds
- restaurant deck overlooks Letaba riverbed, where there's always game
- interesting environmental center
- a long way from the southern entrance gates, so you'll need more traveling time
- always busy
Check Rates from our Partners
Overlooking the frequently dry Letaba River, this lovely camp sits in the middle of elephant country in the central section of the park. There's excellent game-viewing on the roads to and all around the Englelhardt and Mingerhout dams: be careful in the early morning and as the sun goes down that you don't bump a hippo. The camp itself has a real bush feel: all the huts are thatch (ask for one overlooking the river), and the grounds are overgrown with apple-leaf trees, acacias, mopane, and ilala palms. The restaurant and snack bar, with attractive outdoor seating, look out over the broad, sandy riverbed. Even if you're not staying at Letaba, stop at the superb elephant exhibit at the Environmental Education Centre and marvel at just how big elephants' tusks can get. Campsites, on the camp's perimeter, offer lots of shade for your tent or trailer.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more