At a Glance
- one of best locations in Kruger
- terrific biodiversity
- adventurous three-night walking trail
- accessible by road, but it's a long drive to get there
Pafuri Camp Review
This gorgeous lodge stretches for more than a kilometer along the banks of the Luvuvhu River in Kruger's far north. The 240-square-km (93-square-mi) area embraces an amazing variety of landscapes and is one of the few places on earth where fever-tree and baobab forests intermingle. At Crooks Corner, where baddies on the run of bygone days once lurked, a wide swath of sand stretching as far as the eye can see links Mozambique, South Africa, and Zimbabwe. There's great game plus ancient history—more than 1.5 million years ago, early humans lived here, and the area holds stone-age tools, rock engravings, and rock paintings. Pafuri also has the best birding in Kruger: this is the place to spot the rare and elusive Pel's fishing-owl. There's a superb children's program, and special family accommodations provide privacy for parents and kids. The tented rooms face the river.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- Cape Town & Namibia — $3,939 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
A babymoon in the Bahamas has one order of business: you must do absolutely nothing.... Read more