Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
At a Glance
- superb value for money
- friendly, informal atmosphere
- complimentary bar and well-stocked wine cellar
- watch ellies from the pool deck
- comfortable but far from five star
- everything is under canvas so if you need more solid structures this is not for you
Check Rates from our Partners
This tented camp, minimalist but with surprising luxury touches, gives you the total bush experience without some of the bells and whistles of more upscale camps and at half the price. Designed to reflect Hemingway's Africa, it sits in a tamboti grove overlooking a dry riverbed. You'll feel very close to the bush (but quite safe and secure) in your large, comfortable tent with its leather couch and open-air bathroom with concrete bath, double shower, and separate toilet. Spot game as you lounge on the swimming pool deck, or browse in the temperature-controlled wine cellar. Tea or coffee is served in your tent at dawn, and meals are served in a big safari tent around a long wooden table, where you can swap animal war stories with your fellow guests in an intimate, relaxed atmosphere. Children under 12 are not allowed.
- Location: Manyeleti Game Reserve
- 12 tents.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more