Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Gorah Elephant Camp
At a Glance
- the food and service are top-notch
- guests are not required to sit together at meals
- rooms do not have bathtubs
Check Rates from our Partners
Gorah Elephant Camp Review
A private concession within the main section of Addo, this lodge has accommodations in spacious, luxurious tents with thick thatch canopies that are furnished in colonial-era antiques. Each tent has an en-suite bathroom with shower and a private deck with views. The lodge itself, a gracious old farmhouse dating from 1856, overlooks a watering hole, so it's possible to watch elephants, buffalo, and other animals from your lunch table or the veranda. Everything is understated yet seriously stylish, including the swimming-pool area, and the cuisine and service are outstanding. There's no electricity (although solar lamps are more than adequate), and dinner is served by romantic candlelight, either on the veranda or in the splendid dining room. The lodge operates two game drives a day, and the Web site has interesting updates on the animals viewed on recent game drives.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more