Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Ngala Tented Safari Camp
At a Glance
- knowing you are right in the heart of the bush
- palpable natural energy from the huge ancient trees
- if you don't like to be too close to nature, this is not for you, as hippos (and other game) wander freely around the tents
- no a/c
Check Rates from our Partners
Ngala Tented Safari Camp Review
It seems that the marula seeds softly falling on the tents are applauding this gorgeous little camp shaded by a canopy of giant trees. You'll feel like a sultan as you lie beneath your billowing, honey-colored canvas roof, which acts as a ceiling for your basket-weave handmade bed and headboard. Polished wooden floors, gauze-screened floor-to-ceiling windows, and a dressing area with two stone washbasins and gleaming old-fashioned bath create a feeling of such roominess and elegance that it's hard to believe you're in a tent. The camp's dining area and lounge have an almost nautical feel. Huge wooden decks are tethered by ropes and poles on the very edge of the Timbavati River. It seems as if at any moment you could be gently blown into the sky over the surrounding bushveld.
- Location: Timbavati Game Reserve
- 6 tents.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more