Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Great Fish River Lodge
At a Glance
- spectacular river views
- unusual habitats (it's not often you find lions clambering up and down rocky outcrops)
- ultrafriendly staff
- avoid if you're a bit unsteady as there are lots of tricky steps
Check Rates from our Partners
Great Fish River Lodge Review
If you have an artistic eye, you'll immediately notice how the curving thatch roof of the main buildings echoes the mountain skyline opposite. Steps lead down to the public areas—dining room, comfortable lounges, and library—that sprawl along the banks of the Great Fish River. Floor-to-ceiling windows bathe the stone walls, Persian rugs, fireplaces, deep armchairs, bookcases, and old prints and photographs in clear light. At night the stars provide a dazzling display as lions call over the noise of the rushing river. All the spacious en-suite bedrooms overlook the river, and you'll be hard put to tear yourself away from your personal plunge-pool-with-a-view to go chasing game. The décor is African-inspired, with earth-toned fabrics. Pewter and glass add understated sophistication to the furnishings, while ostrich eggshells, animal hides, and horns reference the lodge's surroundings.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more