Tanda Tula Safari Camp
At a Glance
- ultra-knowledgeable rangers
- emphasis on the whole bush experience, not just the Big Five
- moonlit bush barbeques
- if you don't like being under canvas, stay away
- no a/c
Tanda Tula Safari Camp Review
With a well-deserved reputation as one of the best bush camps in Mpumalanga, Tanda Tula is very professional, yet makes you feel at home. When lions roar nearby, the noise sounds like it's coming from under the bed. The reason is simple: you sleep in a large safari tent with huge window flaps that roll up, leaving you gazing at the bush only through mosquito netting. Tanda Tula is decorated with colorful Africa-themed furnishings. Each thatch tent has electricity, a freestanding fan, a private bathroom with a Victorian-style tub and outdoor shower, and a private wooden deck overlooking the Nhlaralumi River. You'll eat breakfast and lunch in a large, open, thatch lounge, but for dinner enjoy one of Tanda Tula's famous bush braais in the dry riverbed, with the moon reflecting off the dry sand. Although the lodge can sleep 24, it usually keeps numbers down to 16, which makes for added intimacy. First-class rangers give you a very thorough understanding of the environment, local history, and animals without concentrating solely on the Big Five. The Elephant Research Program's camp is housed here and accepts visitors. If you want real privacy, book the luxurious two-person lodge next to the tented camp; it comes with its own butler, vehicle, plunge pool, and in-house catering.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town & Namibia IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa Experience — $4,149 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
Single older guy, I am flying to Joberg, renting a car there and driving to Kruger. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic ... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more