Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
At a Glance
- superb guides
- attentive well-trained local staff
- a must-see community center and village
- temperamental showers that ricochet between scalding hot and freezing cold
- no tea and coffee in the rooms
Check Rates from our Partners
Ecca Lodge Review
This classy lodge combines understated modern elegance with Scandinavian chic. High, white, open-raftered, wooden ceilings top paneled walls, and the furnishings complement and enhance the views outside the huge windows and viewing decks. Orange cushions echo the flowering aloes, soft greens repeat the surrounding wilderness, and the pillars of rough-hewn rock with russet-colored rugs at their base recall the kopjes and wildflowers that dot the reserve. Your bedroom may qualify as one of the biggest you will ever sleep in. Keep the curtains facing your king-size bed open at night so that you're woken by a dazzling dawn. Chill by the rim-flow lodge pool, or just hang out at your private plunge pool with only the birds and the sounds of the wilderness to keep you company. You'll dine in a big airy dining room with an interactive kitchen. Watch the chef whip up bobotie (spicy minced meat with savory custard topping)—the house special—toss a pancake or three, or stir some succulent sauce. If you find time, watch DVDs or read in the library or games room, or just sit on your massive wraparound deck and listen to the silence.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more