At a Glance
- much more affordable than many of its neighbors
- unpretentious feel
- amazing river views
- easy access by road from Johannesburg
- malaria area
- no triple rooms for guests with children
River Lodge Review
Although this is one of Sabi Sand's oldest lodges, it has somehow managed to keep itself something of a secret. Less glamorous than many of its more glitzy neighbors, it scores 10 out of 10 for its quite gorgeous location—one of the best in the whole reserve—with lush green lawns sweeping right down to the Sabi River. The main sitting and dining areas have panoramic river views; if you want a quiet game-watching experience you can sink into one of the big comfy sofas on the deck with your binoculars handy, and animals and birds of one kind or another are sure to happen along. If you go out on a game drive, you'll see great game—almost certainly the Big Five—and the experienced rangers and staff, some of whom have been at the lodge for years, will guide, advise, and look after you in a friendly, unfussy way. Your roomy air-conditioned suite (try to sleep with the windows open so you don't miss that lion roaring or hyena whooping) is decorated in soft earth colors and has its own plunge pool. Guests say that there's something about this lodge that melts effortlessly into its surroundings. It's a genuine African-bush ambience.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town & Namibia IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa Experience — $4,149 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more