At a Glance
- permanent water hole attracts lots of animals, especially in winter
- really remote
- high malaria area
- difficult to access
- no electrical plug points in accommodation
- no cell-phone reception, which can be a pro or con
The most remote of all the bushveld camps and one of the loveliest, Sirheni is a major bird-watching camp that sits on the edge of the Sirheni Dam in an isolated wilderness area in the far north of the park. It's a long drive to get here but well worth the effort. Because there is permanent water, game—including lions and white rhinos—can often be seen at the dam, particularly in the dry winter months. Keep your eyes open for the resident leopard, which often drinks at the dam in the evening. A rewarding drive for birders and game spotters alike runs along the Mphongolo River. You can watch the sun set over the magnificent bush from one of two secluded viewing platforms at either end of the camp, but be sure to smother yourself with mosquito repellent.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- Cape Town & Namibia — $3,939 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
I have been attempting to book a trip to Africa for a year now, not sure I am any closer to an itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more