Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
At a Glance
- close proximity to Port Elizabeth and East London make this a great option for a quick game drive
- peace, tranquility, and awesome views
- guests make their own schedule
- this is not Big Five country
- beach is not within walking distance and the current is too strong for swimming
Check Rates from our Partners
From the moment you reach this seaside retreat, it's all about relaxation, and that's exactly what Texan Rip Miller wanted in his property. There are no set times for anything; game drives can be taken whenever you want. Guests can take guided nature walks on the beach or get a range of treatments in the full, on-site spa. The property has wide vistas and soothing ocean views from the ocean suites and lodge. If you're dining on the deck keep an eye out for whales (June–November) or game around the water hole. The four ocean suites have decks, his-and-her bathrooms (one has the tub and one has a shower) with Molton Brown bath products, and canopy beds with views of the beach and ocean below, as well as a flat-screen TV that comes out of the dresser at the foot of your bed. Lodge suites, on the lower level of the main lodge, have similar amenities, including balconies, and open into a game room with shuffle board, a pool table, and a large flat-screen satellite TV so you won't miss any of those important games back home. The suites are perfect for a group traveling together. Another great option for a large group in the owner's villa complete with full kitchen and chef.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
Thinking of going to South Africa in September.. Would appreciate your comments on this itinerary. It's through Citiescapes but the agent in SA is IKapa tours.
DAY 1 :
Fly from Dublin to Johannesburg Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more