Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Sabi Sabi's Earth Lodge
At a Glance
- out-of the-ordinary avant-garde, eco-friendly architecture and interior design
- warm earth colors
- don't let your butler become too intrusive
- although practical for guests who don't want to walk to their suites, golf carts seem alien in the bush
Check Rates from our Partners
Sabi Sabi's Earth Lodge Review
This avant-garde, eco-friendly lodge was the first to break away from the traditional safari style and strive for a contemporary theme. It's a cross between a Hopi cave dwelling and a medieval keep, but with modern luxury. On arrival, all you'll see is bush and grass-covered hummocks until you descend a hidden stone pathway that opens onto a spectacular landscape of boulders and streams. The lodge has rough-textured, dark brown walls encrusted with orange seeds and wisps of indigenous grasses. The mud-domed suites are hidden from view until you're practically at the front door. Surfaces are sculpted from ancient fallen trees, whereas chairs and tables are ultramodern or '50s style. Your suite has huge living spaces with a sitting area, mega bathroom, private veranda, and plunge pool. A personal butler takes care of your every need, and there's a meditation garden. Dine in a subterranean cellar or in the boma, fashioned from roots and branches and lit at night by dozens of lanterns.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more