Sabi Sabi's Earth Lodge
At a Glance
- out-of the-ordinary avant-garde, eco-friendly architecture and interior design
- warm earth colors
- don't let your butler become too intrusive
- although practical for guests who don't want to walk to their suites, golf carts seem alien in the bush
Sabi Sabi's Earth Lodge Review
This avant-garde, eco-friendly lodge was the first to break away from the traditional safari style and strive for a contemporary theme. It's a cross between a Hopi cave dwelling and a medieval keep, but with modern luxury. On arrival, all you'll see is bush and grass-covered hummocks until you descend a hidden stone pathway that opens onto a spectacular landscape of boulders and streams. The lodge has rough-textured, dark brown walls encrusted with orange seeds and wisps of indigenous grasses. The mud-domed suites are hidden from view until you're practically at the front door. Surfaces are sculpted from ancient fallen trees, whereas chairs and tables are ultramodern or '50s style. Your suite has huge living spaces with a sitting area, mega bathroom, private veranda, and plunge pool. A personal butler takes care of your every need, and there's a meditation garden. Dine in a subterranean cellar or in the boma, fashioned from roots and branches and lit at night by dozens of lanterns.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- Cape Town & Namibia — $3,939 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more