Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Tshukudu Game Lodge
At a Glance
- most luxurious and secluded accommodation in park
- high on a hill with great views
- it's a 132-step climb to the main lodge from the parking area so avoid it if you're not sound of wind and limb
- game good, but not as abundant as Kruger
Check Rates from our Partners
Tshukudu Game Lodge Review
The most stylish option in the area, Tshukudu is built into the side of a steep, rocky hill and overlooks open grassland and a large water hole where elephants bathe. If you watch long enough, you might see most of the Big Five from your veranda. Winding stone stairways lead up the hill to thatch cottages with private balconies, wicker furniture, African materials, and black-slate floors. Fireplaces and mosquito nets are standard, and sunken bathtubs have spectacular views of the water hole. At night you can use a spotlight to illuminate game at the water hole below.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more