Getting Here and Around
Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA), at Nelspruit, and Hoedspruit airport, close to Kruger's Orpen Gate, serve Kruger National Park. KMIA has a restaurant, curio shops, banking facilities, car-rental agencies, VIP lounges, information desks, and shaded parking; Hoedspruit has a restaurant and curio shop.
Three airlines—SA Airlink, SA Express, and Pelican Air—link Johannesburg to Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport. SA Airlink has daily flights, SA Express flies on weekends, and Pelican Air has flights on Tuesday and Friday.
Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA). 27/13-753-7502. www.kmiairport.co.za.
Pelican Air. www.pelicanair.co.za.
South African Airways/SA Airlink/South African Express. 011/978-1111. www.flysaa.com.
Only tour-company buses actually go through Kruger, but they're not recommended. Being in a big tour bus in the park is like being in an air-conditioned bubble, totally divorced from the bush. Also, the big tour buses aren't allowed on many of Kruger's dirt roads and have to stick to the main paved roads.
If you're driving to Kruger National Park there's generally no need to rent a 4x4 vehicle as all roads are paved. This accessibility means first-timers shouldn't worry about driving.
You can pick up rental cars at the KMIA and Hoedspruit airports. Avis, Budget, and Imperial all have desks at KMIA, whereas Hoedspruit offers Avis and Budget.
Avis. 013/750-1015 at KMIA; 015/793-2014 at Hoedspruit. www.avis.co.za.
Budget. 013/751-1774 at KMIA; 011/398-0123 at Hoedspruit. www.budget.co.za.
Imperial. 013/751-1855 at KMIA. www.europcar.co.za.
It's worth renting an eight-seater combi (van) or SUV. Though more expensive than a car, they provide more legroom, and you'll probably have better luck spotting and observing game from your lofty perch. Always reserve well in advance.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town & Namibia IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa Experience — $4,149 IExplore