Getting Here and Around
Upington International Airport is 260 km (162 mi) south of Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park; many lodgings provide shuttle service from the airport, or you can rent a car here.
Kgalagadi Transfontier National Park is approximately 250 km (155 mi) north of Upington in the far northern Cape and 904 km (562 mi) west of Johannesburg. If you drive from Johannesburg you have a choice of two routes: either via Upington (with the last stretch a 60-km [37-mi] gravel road) or via Kuruman, Hotazel, and Vanzylrus (with about 340 km [211 mi] of gravel road). The gravel sections on both routes are badly corrugated, so don't speed.
You can rent cars at the airport, or reserve a rental car through an agency in Upington and then pick up the car from the Twee Rivieren Camp.
Under normal circumstances (no excessive rain, for example), a passenger car will be fine in Kgalagadi (except on the 4x4 routes). However, a 4x4 will give you greater access in the park and as you sit higher up, better game-viewing.
Upington International Airport. 054/332-2161.
South African Airways/SA Airlink/South African Express. 011/978-1111. www.flysaa.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe