Top Reasons to Go
Big Game. You're guaranteed to see big game—including the Big Five—both in national parks and at many private lodges.
Escape the Crowds. South Africa's game parks are rarely crowded. You'll see more game with fewer other visitors than almost anywhere else in Africa.
Luxury Escapes. Few other sub-Saharan countries can offer South Africa's high standards of accommodation, service, and food amid gorgeous surroundings of bush, beach, mountains, and desert.
Take the Family. All the national parks accept children (choose a malaria-free one if your kids are small), and many private lodges have fantastic children's programs.
Bountiful Birds. Even if you're not a birder you'll be dazzled by hundreds of fascinating birds of all colors, shapes, and sizes.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town & Namibia IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa Experience — $4,149 IExplore