- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Johannesburg's train station, Park Station, is in Braamfontein, at Leyds and Loveday streets. The famous, luxurious Blue Train, which makes regular runs to Cape Town, departs from here, as do Shosholoza Meyl trains to cities around the country, including the Trans-Karoo to Cape Town, the Komati to Nelspruit in Mpumalanga, and the Trans-Natal to Durban. Many of these trains have overnight service. They vary a lot in terms of comfort levels and price, and the more expensive ones such as the Blue Train are often booked up far in advance (though it's always worth a try if you want to make a reservation at short notice).
Blue Train. 012/334-8459. www.bluetrain.co.za.
Shosholoza Meyl. 086/000-8888. www.shosholozameyl.co.za.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town & Namibia IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa Experience — $4,149 IExplore