- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Minibus taxis form the backbone of Jo'burg's transportation for ordinary commuters, but you should avoid using them since they're often not roadworthy, drivers can be irresponsible, and it's difficult to know where they're going without consulting a local. Car taxis, though more expensive, are easier to use. They have stands at the airport and the train station, but otherwise you must phone for one. Ask the taxi company how long it will take the taxi to get to you. Taxis should be licensed and have a working meter. Meters start at R10 and are R10 per km. Expect to pay about R300 to the airport from town or Sandton and about R160 to the city center from Sandton.
Maxi Taxi (011/648–1200 or 011/648–1212.)
Rose Taxis. 011/403-9625 or 011/403-0000. www.rosetaxis.com.
Safe Cab 086/166-5566.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe