- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Freedom Park Review
Set to open in early 2010, the 129-acre Freedom Park will be a "one-stop-heritage-shop" for South Africa, dedicated to the struggle for freedom and humanity, as well as other aspects of South African heritage, including human evolution. At Salvokop, a prominent hill at the entrance to Pretoria on the highway from Johannesburg, and within view of the Voortrekker Monument, the site will comprise a memorial, interactive museum, archives, and a garden of remembrance. The park was launched in 2002 by President Thabo Mbeki, who said, "We dedicate this day to all the heroes and heroines in this country and the rest of the world who sacrificed in many ways and surrendered their lives so that we could be free." Individual South African, African, and global leaders who made significant contributions to the struggle against oppression, exploitation, racism, and other forms of discrimination will be honored, including Kwame Nkrumah, who led Ghana to become Africa's first independent country in 1957, and revolutionary icon Che Guevara. Call or check the Web site for up-to-date admission prices and hours.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town & Namibia IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa Experience — $4,149 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
To my utter delight, I will be returning to South AFrica in early OCtober for a trip that will begin with a week in CapeTown. Read more
· News & Features
Inspired by the setting of the exciting World Cup?...... Read more
Tourism is likely to increase once the world sees how much South Africa has to offer...... Read more