- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
J. G. Strijdom Square
J. G. Strijdom Square Review
This square was once dominated by a huge bust of former pro-apartheid prime minister J. G. Strijdom. However, on May 31, 2001—exactly 40 years to the day after the government declared South Africa a republic—the supporting structure of the whole edifice crumbled, and Strijdom fell unceremoniously into the parking garage under the square. All that remains is a statue by Danie de Jager of charging horses atop a high column.
- Address: Church and van der Walt Sts., Tshwane, 0002
- Location: Pretoria
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
Thinking of going to South Africa in September.. Would appreciate your comments on this itinerary. It's through Citiescapes but the agent in SA is IKapa tours.
DAY 1 :
Fly from Dublin to Johannesburg Read more
· News & Features
Inspired by the setting of the exciting World Cup?... ... Read more
Tourism is likely to increase once the world sees how much South Africa has to offer...... Read more