- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Johannesburg
Cradle of Humankind. Visit the Sterkfontein Caves and Maropeng Visitor Centre at this World Heritage Site, about an hour from Johannesburg, to view humankind's evolutionary pathway, fossils, and paleontology, presented in a fun, kid-friendly manner.
History in Your Lifetime. Do a self-guided tour of the Constitutional Court, built on the site of a prison whose inmates included Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela. The Apartheid Museum takes a holistic look at South Africa's road to democracy.
Iconic Soweto. Visit the site of some dramatic anti-apartheid struggles, as well as former homes of Nobel Peace laureates Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
African Arts and Crafts. The African Craft Market in Rosebank showcases ornaments, masks, and fabrics from across Africa, ranging from the cheap and cheerful to one-off collector's items.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe