- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Valley of a Thousand Hills
In the early part of the 19th century, before cars were introduced, wagons traveled from the port of Durban up along the ridge of this region of plunging gorges, hills, and valleys into the hinterland, where the mining industry was burgeoning. Today the Old Main Road (M103) still runs between Durban and Pietermaritzburg, winding through a number of villages and offering stunning views of hills and valleys dotted with traditional Zulu homesteads. It is along this route that the Comrades Marathon—South Africa's most famous road race—is run.
For purposes of exploring, the area has been organized into routes by the local tourism office. A favorite with Durbanites, the routes wind through villages and past coffee shops, art galleries, restaurants, quaint pubs, small inns, farms, and nature reserves. There are a number of excellent B&Bs, small inns, and lodges in the area, often with fantastic views of the gorges.
Valley of a Thousand Hills at a Glance
Elsewhere in Durban and KwaZulu-Natal
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Durban Savings! Book at Protea Edward Durban Fr $149+/Nt Expedia
- Cruise to Durban: 4 Nts on MSC Cruises Fr $609 Expedia
- Explore Africa with MSC Cruises Fr $1,919 — $1,919 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 12 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $2,439 — $2,439 Expedia
- Visit Durban with MSC Cruises! 7 Nts Fr $939 — $939 Expedia