- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Durban International Airport is 32 km (20 mi) south of Umhlanga and a transfer or taxi will cost R300 one way. The new King Shaka airport is closer at 17 km (11 mi) north and an added bonus is that you drive against traffic. A transfer or taxi to King Shaka Airport will cost about R170 one way.
Umhlanga is small enough to walk from hotels into the village although most would favor a taxi ride over the arduous uphill slog to the Gateway shopping center and the Sharks Board. Tourists can safely walk around during the day and taxis are readily available after dark. Street parking is a challenge during peak holiday times and, where necessary, be sure to put money in parking meters as the traffic police in the area are very officious! As with the rest of South Africa, wherever you go you'll be beset by self-appointed car guards, who ask if they can watch your car. The going rate for a tip—if you want to give one—is R2–R5, depending on how long you're away. Don't leave your keys with anyone.
Taxis are metered and start at R5, with an additional charge of R9-R10 per kilometer (per half mile). Expect to pay R40 from the village to Gateway or the Sharks Board and R200 to the Berea or uShaka Marine World. Taxis are readily available in the village and at the Gateway shopping center.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's