- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Karkloof Canopy Tours. Glide along steel cables through the treetops of the Karkloof Forest, the second biggest indigenous forest in South Africa. A 1-km (600-yard) long foefie (zip) slide is divided into eight slides—the longest is an exhilarating 574 feet long—that are interspersed with wooden platforms. Designed by a civil engineer, safety is paramount, and two trained guides (well versed in the forest and ecology) accompany each group; group size ranges from one to eight people. Tours (R495) take 2½ hours and leave every half hour in most weather conditions; call ahead to reserve your spot. Anyone from the ages of 7 to 70 can participate. Light refreshments, lunch, and a 4x4 trip up the mountain are included. From Howick, take Karkloof Rd. for 19 km (12 mi) and follow signs to Canopy Tours for another 2 km (1¼ mi). 033/330–3415. www.karkloofcanopytour.co.za.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's