- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The KwaZulu-Natal Midlands
Set amid the rolling green foothills of the Drakensberg, the Midlands encompass waterfalls, lakes, reservoirs, forests, fields, Zulu villages, game reserves, and battle sites. The climate is pleasant most of the year, though summers tend to be hot. The area has long been an enclave for craftspeople—weavers, potters, woodcrafters, metalworkers, cheese makers, and beer brewers—who escaped the cities.
As a way to draw customers to the area, the crafters created four routes, called the Midlands Meander, in 1983, which include more than 160 shops, galleries, cultural activities, restaurants, and accommodations. Running through the towns of Curry's Post and Howick in the northeast and Nottingham Road, Mooi River, Balgowan, the Dargyle District, Lion's River, and Midmar in the southwest, the routes provide a great opportunity to shop for authentic South African arts and crafts while enjoying the tranquility and beauty of the countryside. The area is filled with top accommodations and dining options.
The KwaZulu-Natal Midlands at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Durban and KwaZulu-Natal
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 4-Star Protea Edward Durban Fr $149+/Nt Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 3 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $279 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 4 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $609 — $609 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 14 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $1,919 — $1,919 Expedia
- Visit Durban with MSC Cruises! 7 Nts Fr $939 — $939 Expedia