The Second Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) was the biggest, the longest, the costliest, the bloodiest, and the most humiliating war that Great Britain had ever fought. The Battle of Spioenkop near Ladysmith was a focal point, where the Boers trounced the British, who suffered 243 fatalities during the battle; many were buried in the trenches where they fell.
Spioenkop at a Glance
Elsewhere in Durban and KwaZulu-Natal
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's