- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Vacation towns like Scottburgh, Margate, Ramsgate, Trafalgar, and Palm Beach dot KwaZulu-Natal's southern coast, which stretches for more than 200 km (125 mi) from Durban in the north to Port Edward in the south. The area has some of the country's best beaches, set against a tropical background of natural coastal jungle and palm trees. In fact, Blue Flag status has been conferred on the Marina (at San Lameer), Ramsgate, Lucien, and Hibberdene beaches.
The South Coast is also famous for the annual sardine run, which usually occurs in June or July. Colder currents in Antarctica at this time bring millions of sardines to local waters, and they often wash up right on the beach. Dolphins, seabirds, sharks, and whales follow in a feeding frenzy.
Elsewhere in Durban and KwaZulu-Natal
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's