- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Vacation towns like Scottburgh, Margate, Ramsgate, Trafalgar, and Palm Beach dot KwaZulu-Natal's southern coast, which stretches for more than 200 km (125 mi) from Durban in the north to Port Edward in the south. The area has some of the country's best beaches, set against a tropical background of natural coastal jungle and palm trees. In fact, Blue Flag status has been conferred on the Marina (at San Lameer), Ramsgate, Lucien, and Hibberdene beaches.
The South Coast is also famous for the annual sardine run, which usually occurs in June or July. Colder currents in Antarctica at this time bring millions of sardines to local waters, and they often wash up right on the beach. Dolphins, seabirds, sharks, and whales follow in a feeding frenzy.
Elsewhere in Durban and KwaZulu-Natal
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Visit Durban for Less: Hotels Fr $91+/Nt Travelocity
- Hot Deal on a 4 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $609 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 14 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $1,919 — $1,919 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 3 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $279 — $279 Expedia
- Visit Durban with MSC Cruises! 7 Nts Fr $949 — $949 Expedia