- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Mandela Monument Review
The site itself is a small, unassuming brick monument, but it's really the magnitude of what happened here that's remarkable and noteworthy. After 17 months on the run, Nelson Mandela was arrested, despite being disguised as a chauffeur, on August 5, 1962, outside Howick, on his way from Durban to Johannesburg. He was convicted of incitement and illegally leaving the country and sentenced to five years in jail before being prosecuted in the Rivonia Trials that led to his incarceration on Robben Island. From the N3 take the Tweedie Interchange and get onto the R103; the monument is just outside Howick.
- Address: R103, Howick, 3290
- Location: The KwaZulu-Natal Midlands
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more