- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Durban Botanic Gardens
Durban Botanic Gardens Review
Opposite the Greyville Racecourse, Africa's oldest surviving botanical garden is a delightful 150-year-old oasis of greenery interlaced with walking paths, fountains, and ponds. The gardens' orchid house and collection of rare cycads are renowned. The Garden of the Senses caters to the blind, and there's a lovely tea garden where you can take a load off your feet and settle back with a cup of hot tea and cakes—the crumpets (similar to flapjacks) are the best in town! On weekends it's a popular place for wedding photographs, so you'll be sure to see retinues of colorfully clad bridesmaids. Look out for Music at the Lake, which happens on some Sundays. Various musical acts perform in the gardens (there is an additional entrance fee), and people take along picnics to while away the afternoon.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Durban Savings! Book at Protea Edward Durban Fr $149+/Nt Expedia
- Cruise to Durban: 4 Nts on MSC Cruises Fr $609 Expedia
- Explore Africa with MSC Cruises Fr $1,919 — $1,919 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 12 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $2,439 — $2,439 Expedia
- Visit Durban with MSC Cruises! 7 Nts Fr $939 — $939 Expedia
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
Single older guy, I am flying to Joberg, renting a car there and driving to Kruger. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more