- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Babanango Valley Lodge
At a Glance
- ultra-friendly, knowledgeable hosts
- great personal service
- delicious home-cooked meals
- it's a long, bumpy road from the main road to the lodge
Check Rates from our Partners
Babanango Valley Lodge Review
This tiny guest lodge lies at the end of a rutted dirt road on an 8,000-acre cattle farm. Obviously, it's not the sort of place where you constantly pop in and out, but that's okay—you probably won't want to leave anyway. The lodge sits at the head of a steep valley, far from any other buildings and with tremendous views of acacia-studded grasslands and hills. John and Meryn Turner, the charming hosts, and their very hospitable team, go out of their way to make you feel at home. John is a registered guide, and many people stay at the lodge as part of his battlefield tour. Rooms are decorated in contemporary style with fluffy white duvets and raw-silk lamp shades—simple, comfortable, and elegant. The four-course table d'hôte dinner focuses on traditional South African fare, including fresh farm produce. Battlefield tours, including a picnic lunch, cost R870.
- Address: 15 km (9 mi) off R68, near Babanango, Babanango
- Phone: 035/835–0062
- Location: Babanango
- 9 rooms.
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more